Matt Dusk - My Funny Valentine, The Chet Baker Songbook

Place to yap aboot moosic.
Double D
Advanced Member

Matt Dusk - My Funny Valentine, The Chet Baker Songbook

Post by Double D » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Ok.. I may get hung out to dry on this one, but, Matt Dusk's latest (My Funny Valentine - The Chet Baker Songbook) is one of my WTF??? moments of late ! :shock:
I previously considered Matt not much more than someone cashing in on a "MadMen-esque" throwback to the 50/60's ratpack crooner type thing.. and his vocal range left me flat.. well, .. "one note Dusk" is how I had regarded him.
Well, it seems Mr.Dusk has had some sort of epiphany/vocal training in the last couple of years.. ! this latest collection is great ! If he keeps pushing out this sort of quality work.. I'm there !

He's been out flogging this new album pretty hard, doing live lunch concerts at First Canadian Place (managed to catch part of it) and a live to air event on 91.1FM and he's pretty candid, about working to refine his craft, and not just be known as a "karaoke singer" lol.. to keep a genre of both music, and style alive, that really has no champion (short of masters like Tony Bennett) so.. have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmSPY_sOm2Q

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Re: Matt Dusk - My Funny Valentine, The Chet Baker Songbook

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Double D wrote:Ok.. I may get hung out to dry on this one, but, Matt Dusk's latest (My Funny Valentine - The Chet Baker Songbook) is one of my WTF??? moments of late ! :shock:
WTF is right...Chet Baker must be turning over in his grave...Although it's nice to see someone covering his songs,this seems (to me) to be over produced and misses the essence of what Chet Baker was portraying in his music. :roll:
8) :arrow: