BJH's New Place

This is a place where you can post pics of your systems.
bjh
Advanced Member

BJH's New Place

Post by bjh » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:55 pm

System in the rec room.

BC3000-II pre, Bel Canto CD1 cd player, Roksan Xerxes w/AT OC9 MLII, Pioneer PL-570 DD w/Ortofon 2M Red, Jolod JD9 Phono Stage (extensive mods), Project Phono Box SE, PSB Stratus Gold-i Speakers

Blue Circle BC8-II Monoblocks (big boys behind the equip. stands)

View out back (golf course)

Long muddy walk in the woods, then shower ... I'm pooped! ("Miracle")

No I do not have crossed eyes! ("Cutie")

Punker X
Dealer

Post by Punker X » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:32 am

A shame to hide those beautiful amps behind the racks. Was just taking to a friend that has PSB speakers yesterday how much he was in love with them. Looks like a great set up.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:17 am

Well done BJH! Interesting set-up. Those Stratus can reproduce some pretty thunderous bass. No sub-woofer required that's for sure!

Your backyard looks like the one I used to have when I lived in Glen Abbey (Oakville) between 1990 and 1997. It was an easy par 2 to the nineteenth hole, if you get my meaning...

bjh
Advanced Member

Post by bjh » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:59 am

It's been a struggle to get the sound dialed in, a rather unpleasant surprise as naively I expected it to be a breeze what with having the flexibility of a dedicated room. My last issue was a soundstage that suffered from to much "left"-"right" emphasis at the expense of a natural soundfield with good center fill.

Yesterday I applied the Cardas recommendation for placement in a rectangular room; the room actually opens at back (perhaps as much as 1/4 the full lenght) to a staircase to the upper level and backrooms (all with door access) but it still mostly resembles a long rectangualr room it seems to me.

This places the speakers a foot or so (roughly) out in front of the two equipment stands and hence much closer to each other as well. While this seems superficially odd on reflection it compares better to my last setup as far as speaker distance to wall boundaries is concerned, it just wasn't immediately obvious this was the case in the last setup as there was little choice as to where the speakers sat.

Well it seems that was a very positive change for the better, the sound now much more a natural soundfield where, for example, in a wind emsemble the instruments spread sensibly aross the hozizontal plane with a good depth of field as well. I will tinker a little more but I expect only minor adjustments (toe-in, etc.)

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:15 am

Just for the sake of experimentation, did you try having just the love seat w/o the sofa on the right hand side to see how it would influence the tonal balance?

If it does make a discernible difference you may want to treat the window side if the couch must remain. From the picture, it looks like a huge obstacle.

In your set-up, having the amps in the back makes sense.