Masluck's Updated BC23L2-705

This is a place where you can post pics of your systems.
masluck
Advanced Member

Masluck's Updated BC23L2-705

Post by masluck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:16 pm

I just wanted to post some links of my newest Gil But creation. This started out as a repair to an 11 yr. old BC23 phono stage (24x7x365 for a long time) and morphed into a big upgrade. :cry: :shock: :D The preamp is basically an almost complete rebuild. Gil But tried to reuse the original PCB, but that proved a bad idea due to a suspected bad cap(s). Well, to make a long story short, the ol' BC23 was given an updated Level 2 upgrade and the phono board updated to a 705 (not general production version yet) that I think Double D has in his phono stage. Anyways, I haven't got it back yet, but it sure looks sweet!!! :D :D :D

Mark

BC23L2 (before final 705) update

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N ... 691992791/

BC23L2-705 (after 705 update)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@N ... 691992791/

I will let you all know how it sounds when I get it this weekend and it settles in some.

As soon as I get the system back together, I will post some pictures.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:23 am

SWEET...! That's the big advantage of being part of the Blue Circle family. Your components never get obsolete they just get upgraded.Image

Zero
Advanced Member

Post by Zero » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Oh, what's that? The sound of me crunching numbers on my calculator....

I've got a BC23 as well and anytime I think about replacing it with something, I can't help but think that I'll be better off just getting it upgraded. Those photos sort of seal that notion, but can't wait to hear from you how it sounds. I, for one, look forward to your review! This might just be the year to have the work done.

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:31 am

If the BC23 rebuilds have some of the 705's guts on board.. you won't be dissapointed.. it's an absolute honey. 8)
The 705 kicked my SIM LP5.3 and PSX5.3 to the curb.. no small feat. :shock: The 705 made the SIM sound remarkably flat and one dimensional by comparison. To me .. the SIM was sounding rather like a good 2nd generation CD player :shock: .. it had the extension on both ends, but was a rather soul less and cold sounding thing.
Cartridge is an Ortofon Rondo Bronze, which is where I thought the coldness was coming from.. nope.. was the SIM. Problem solved.
Ears I trust in such analog matters, told me that the Rondo Bronze is "no slouch" and it certainly wins the day being kind to surface noise... it's VERY quiet "in the groove", but I thought that it might be sacrificing some air, and body in the process.. nope.. it was the SIM..

Can't wait to hear your impressions of your reborn BC 23.. or whatever it will be called when G re-christens it.. hehehe..

masluck
Advanced Member

BC23L2-705 Move from calculation to checkbook

Post by masluck » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:01 pm

Mr. Zero,

I got the BC23L2-705 (its official Gil But name) back yesterday and have probably spun about 4 hours worth of music through it. All I can say, very simply and calmly, is to unplug your BC23, get the box out of the closet, put the BC23 into the box, find your nearest reliable shipping company, put a "to: Innerkip, Canada" label on it and get Gil But to work his magic. This is not subtle, to be blunt. This is a transformation and it is not even settled in. I will give it a few weeks, but it is worth every penny so far!!

Mark :lol:

Zero
Advanced Member

Post by Zero » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Awesome! Great to hear. Every upgrade I've done my BC gear - okay, only one so far - has been well worth every penny. Just a little extra magic, but incremental magic is the difference between enjoyment and rapture.

Does the 705 board mean you set load with dip switches or loading plugs?

masluck
Advanced Member

Post by masluck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:54 am

I actually opted to have my 100 ohm load hardwired - right now I have a Shelter 501 MKII and 100 sounded best. I chose not to have the loading plugs (although Gil But offered), as I can replace the resistors myself if I change cartridges or want to try something else. If you can do it, go with the 705 board, as it opened up more room for more caps (a good thing) and is a major leap up the food chain from the original BC23 phono stage. Right now I have about 1.5 farads of capacitance in the power supply alone and the ease with which that preamp can respond to musical demands is exceptional. Someday the rest of the industry will catch up to BC and recognize just how important a very large power supply tank is, even in applications like phono preamps. :lol: :lol:

P.S. my 705 is a specific "MC only" board with user set gain of 71dB or 59dB - I opted for 59dB

Mark

Zero
Advanced Member

Post by Zero » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks for the update, Mark. I've had the BC23 for as long as I've had a phono setup - about 6 years now. I've got a modest turntable, tonearm and cartridge - maybe 1/3 the total cost of my digital front end - and it really outclasses my digital rig. It's hard to imagine better, but I remember thinking that before I sent my amps to Gilbert for upgrade. When I got them back, I just kept shaking my head in disbelief at the improvements. Those improvements are addictive.

The phono front of my rig is next in line for upgrade. I'm psyched to hear of the upgrade options for the 23 - and now chomping at the bit.