Nikki's system

This is a place where you can post pics of your systems.
BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Link to Nikki's toys being built for the perusal of the newer members.

http://www.tlp-audio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=990

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:42 am

Back on topic.. I'm rather glad Nikki posted his thoughts about the AAD's .. and realistically.. they matter, his system is perhaps some of G's best gear, so, naturally, it's a good place to parachute in the AAD's to have a listen.

As always.. I think Nikki's thoughts were well considered, and made sense.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 am

Photos of the new room. Carpet replaced with maple floor and area rug, ceiling raised to 9' with soffit bass traps, Vicoustic diffusors on ceiling, improved venting for better air circulation, Low E2 windows to increase comfort.

Sound is more open and spacious with better energy. Bass is more linear throughout the room which allowed me to increase the sub output another notch. Greater impact to overall sound than a component upgrade!

masluck
Advanced Member

Wowzaa!!

Post by masluck » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:38 am

Wow Nikki - very nice... :shock: :) :D :lol:

I love the "real" Martin-Logan speakers (CL type) as a friend had a pair in the 90's and they were awesome!! I just wish they would make the CLS, II's, etc. again, because I would have to save a real long time to afford the CLX's. I think my room would handle it, though. Do you run them alone or with subs? Great setup!!

Mark

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Hey Mark,

Thanks for compliment - the project was both fun and frustrating.

I really enjoy the CLXes, they take transparency and dynamics to another level compared to their older stats. I use a pair of Velodyne DD-18, you can vaguely see them in the pics if you look carefully to the outside and slightly behind each CLX. The panels only go down to 56hz so they don't have the ability to move the earth, but I wouldn't say that you necessarily have to use subs with the CLX. The bass they produce have more impact and slam than previous CLs. If you have the room to move the panels away from the back wall, then you should be fine - mine are about 5' out.

You often see them come up on Agon for less than half of retail if you don't mind used.

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:44 am

MOTHER !!! :shock: I think I just pooped a bit ! :P Awesome Nikki 8) :D

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:53 am

Nikki, I'm sick and tired of taking cold showers on your account. I'm starting to look like an old prune......

However, there's something to be said about showers....Image

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:46 am

Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying the new room. It's south side facing so it gets a lot of sun during the day and used to be hot as hell in the summer - I needed cold showers as well! The new glass is pretty impressive and blocks out a significant portion of the radiant energy. Should have done this a long time ago.

Bluecirclerookie
Advanced Member

Post by Bluecirclerookie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:17 pm

OMFG ...oops..never saw something like this...my god... This is what i call a GOD system... Is this a multichannel configuration by the way..as i see lots of black squares on the wall..so i guess they are speakers? I am a rookie on this subject..so pls have patience with me.. Lolz.

And question..am i right and do i see grandprix audio (glass/carbon) platforms with their APEX feet under them under ur 2 amps on the floor?

i am actually also intested in buying one for my new amp that gilbert is cooking for me... So How is ur experience with those platforms (do u guys call those things like that?) do they actualy help in improving the sound or did u buy them partly because they look extreme sexy? Lolz..and damn they look very good!

Thanks for replying Nikki!
Life without music is a life without beauty.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:43 pm

BCR,
Thanks for the compliments.

This room is 2ch only and all the black things are acoustic panels and traps. The panels that you see mounted on the walls are ASC PCAD panels which provide treble diffusion and midband absorption. The tall rectangular boxes are ASC TowerTraps that are usually put in corners for bass trapping but I had better results with GIK Monster Bass Traps in the corners. The only thing you have to be careful with the GIK traps is that they are simple rigid fibreglass panels, so they can overdamp your room if you use too many. If you are handy, you can make your own GIK traps - there are many DIY recipes that you can Google. My soffit traps are Roxul ComfortBoard rigid insulation boards, 2x2" thick, covered in Guilford of Maine fabric.

Yes, the amp stands are GPA. I don't have the Apex footers because spikes seemed to make sense for my previously carpeted floor. I may consider APEX footers now, but they seem to be a lot of money for what they are ... but GPA owners swear by them.

I have not compared the GPA stands to other hi-end platforms, but these stands sound better than any other isolation devices (albeit inexpensive ones) that I have tried (ie. BDR cones, metal cones, wood platforms, BDR shelf). The other isolation tweaks just seem to shift the tonality around, for better or worse, depends on your situation and preference. To my ears, the GPA stands are very neutral, they don't seem to impose a signature of their own. They do introduce a quieter background, better definition and focus, better articulation and sweeter, rounder sound.

I remember when I was looking for stands, I read many reviews of the GPA stands which seemed to be over-the-top. I'm not sure I would put isolation stands on the top of my upgrade list but they do make a meaningful difference ... and they look cool as well :) .

What amp are you getting?

Bluecirclerookie
Advanced Member

Post by Bluecirclerookie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:33 pm

thanks nikki for ur reply....i contacted GPA already about distributors for the netherlands...

well about my humble amp,,,gilbert is cooking up a custommade headphone amp for me..ofcourse it nothing even remotely close to ur god system..

its based on the the NSL, but instead of 28w it will pump out 5 watts into 50ohm to drive my planar headphone..it will only have 24/96 usb input (bc509) and only have dual xlr 3pins output to the headphone... the power unit will be outside the case (in a tube, like the plc thingee) connected by a 4pin xlr... it will be my most expensive thing i ever bought except for a car.... so u can imagine that my expectations are high.. hope to have it in my hands around 15dec...damn 6 months are long!
but i have to say u guys are relaxed..i like that...
Life without music is a life without beauty.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:22 pm

BCR,
Congratulations - you are going to have some nice sound!

Yes, the people on this forum are generally friendly and easy going - nice place to hang for sure.