Double D's updated rig April 2010

This is a place where you can post pics of your systems.
Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Double D,
You have a killer system.Is a "true" dedicated sound room out of the question?

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:08 am

HaBoiEgg

Yeah.. for the present, it's looking like a dedicated sound room isn't in the cards. :(
Although your idea with the "doghouse" sure has merit ... LOL !! :wink:

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:10 pm

Double D wrote:
Don Leman wrote:Ahhh yes! Blue Circle + Harbeth = magic.

...disclaimer in signature
Amen Don .. Amen... The M30 is brilliant with BC stuff pushing it..
Hey DD,
Just curious asto why you swapped out the Verity's for Harbeth :?:

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:51 pm

The Verity's just never really achieved their ultimate potential at my place, and I **tried** for 3 years to make it work. :shock: Whether ultimately it was a mismatch with my room (most likely.. other speakers have also died a horrid death chez moi) or not playing nice with BC gear, I can't say 100% ..
The Harbeths were a bit of a fluke, a pair became available locally used at a fair price, so.. I thought I'd give them a shot.. for 2 reasons, 1) others have sung the praises of the Harbeth/BC match, and 2) I was "weaned" on British monitors back in the late 70's and early 80's .. so, for me, it was like coming home to a sound that I hadn't really realized that I was "missing" per se. I ultimately bought the M30 as a stop gap speaker until I decided what would be the next step forward.. and ironically the M30 has proven to be more than I expected it to be. Go figure.
I still love electrostats.. but feel that ML has really lost their way, unless you pop for the CLX. I loved the older gen of ML's .. the ReQuest still remains one of my favourites.. despite what some say are it's flaws, and the Ascent was the speaker I should never have sold. It worked like a top in my room, and now with the 206-NST behind it, I suspect it would have been glorious. I'd like to consider the newer gen of Quads, but haven't heard them in controlled situations enough to form enough of an opinion on them.
Ironically, I said to Gilbert that while I had the NSP at my place I sort of wished that I still had the Verity's .. I suspect there might have been a bit of magic in that combo ! :? timing is as they say.. everything.

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Now that I have unbi-wired my Mani-2's,they really are proving to be hard to replace.I still find it hard to believe the improvement.That being said,having heard the Winds,do make me realize the potential of my system with a speaker upgrade.I will be auditioning a pair of Rienzi's next week.Talking with BCarnaval,we have yet to hear a "bad" Verity speaker.And I couldn't agree more....timing is everything :!: (if only...)

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:01 pm

The Rienzi is a different animal than what the Parsifal Ovation is, the Parsifal is about the beauty and grace within the performance. It excels at inner structure and minute timing variations within the event.
The Rienzi is perhaps more the extrovert. It's more "fun" .. the Parsifal is more about grace and caressing you.
Make no mistake I still have much respect for the Parsifal, and yes, I often wonder at my choice to sell them, especially with the last few changes that have happened to my system.
It is a very special speaker.. capable of some truly outstanding results, but it does require a lot of care and proper feeding to get you to nirvana.

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:48 pm

Didn't mean to hi-jack your system post.Thanks for your insight and look forward to my audition of the Verity speakers. :) Go Als Go :!:

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sat May 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Update time again.. got rid of the Foundation stands.. the M30's now perched on a Skylan Stands. Noel.. you da man !! the Skylans make Harbeth's sing ! 8)
Also.. dropped in a Calyx 24/192 DAC (with external PSU) for content from JRiver17. PC Audio is moving VERY fast, I think the Marantz may soon be moving along, it hasn't even been powered up in a couple of months.. :roll: :shock:

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sun May 13, 2012 6:37 am

Nice stands DD! And reasonable price as well. 8) http://www.skylanstands.com/stands.htm

Did mass load them?

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sun May 13, 2012 8:02 am

Hey Mike, yeah, the stands are loaded with kitty litter (YES .. fresh clean stuff .. sheesh ! :lol: )
Although I see from Skylan's german counter parts they are now offering their own granular particles to mass load the stand.. hmmm..

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sun May 13, 2012 8:26 am

I hope you bought the premium approved litter. The regular stuff will collapse your soundstage. :lol:

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Sun May 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Umm.,. ok.. whatever ??? :roll: Really Mike, I think you need to go talk to G about this penchant for Snake Oil like products .. :lol:

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Mon May 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Ummm...kitty litter....I would think the better option would be kiln dried sand.....or do I have lead shot for brains... :lol: ...but then again....Bose Salesman still isn't funny....Hello Kitty.... :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :shock: 8) :arrow:

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Wed May 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Bose Salesman .. not funny ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftbm8EZZDqI

Ha Boi Egg
Advanced Member

Post by Ha Boi Egg » Wed May 16, 2012 1:15 pm

Double D wrote:Bose Salesman .. not funny ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCUpiI1MSA
8) :arrow: