New to Me

This is a place where you can post pics of your systems.
Brent

New to Me

Post by Brent » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:57 am

I have always wanted to try a panel speaker and when I acquired the BC2000's I started to look, and finally I have a pair to try. Picked them up last week with the help of a friend and finally got them singing Sunday evening! Here is a lovely pair of Martin Logan CLSII's

Started with a position a few feet from the back wall and slightly toed in. Bass was horrid and there was no focus or magic

Moved them so that they are three feet from the back wall and angled in for nearfield listening. Everything is on a 6ft center. Much better!

It took some time to get the position correct for bass response in the room and so more fiddling with position may be required but they are sounding very nice indeed at the moment. Panels really are a different way to hear music and I am loving what they do.

Brent

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:51 am

:shock: Well !! that's a shocker !!

The CLS is a tough speaker.. magic when it's "right" .. but demanding.. to say the least ! at least you've got the right amps with them 8)

So.. enquiring minds NEED to know.. are the Spendors just on "vacation" .. or........ :cry:

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 am

Gilbert still has a pair I believe. And like DD said, you do have the right amps.Image

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:08 pm

Yep, the Spendors are just taking a little vacation. They would be hard to part with. I like what the Spendors do and they are really good in the room I have, a very front row presentation which I favour and they sure do sing wonderfully.

I vaguely remember listening to some Acustats and a pair of Apogee Duetta's many, many years ago and thought they did some interesting things. I had some discussions with Gilbert and he felt that a pair of CLS's would suite my tastes and the room I have and, obviosly would mate well with the BC2000's.

I am finding that they are very revealing (understatement) and I am continueing to experiment to educate myself on what works and does not work. So far I am really enjoying them, like a wall of sound in 3D. I am enjoying the change of pace.

Gilbert does still own a pair, custom painted Pink!

Brent

Double D
Advanced Member

Post by Double D » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Brent wrote: I am finding that they are very revealing (understatement) and I am continueing to experiment to educate myself on what works and does not work. So far I am really enjoying them, like a wall of sound in 3D. I am enjoying the change of pace.

Understatement indeed.. many have spent long hours fussing with the CLS in it's many variations.. it is perhaps the most transparent/revealing of speakers .. EVER.. when all is right.. it's a blessing . when it's not. .it's a curse and a frustration. It is a "tweekers dream".

Am glad you haven't decided to flog the Spendors.. their special blend of virtues would be hard to replace... especially THESE days !
When you're ready... switch back to them.. it will be like finding something you thought you might have lost... 8)

Totemman
Advanced Member

Post by Totemman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:18 pm

:D :D Nice looking system. That wouldn't be an RS-A1 would it? What table is it sitting on?

Brent

Post by Brent » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:36 pm

It is an RS-A1 arm with a Denon 103 hanging on its end. It is one great arm.

It is presently sitting on a new project turntable that I have just begun work on. A Rek-O Kut N34H. A 70's belt driver with a very seriously good papst AC motor on it. In the picture I have it propped up on some plywood just to get it spinning to check the bearing and start work on isolating vibrations. Some of the plinth is glued and ready to be cut and drilled. I have an RB250 that will be the final arm for this project.Hoping it works out and sounds good in the end.

The RS-A1 will finally reside on a Lenco L75 project table which I have almost complete. Just needs final finishing. Pictures to follow on completion.

Brent