The not all new but new enough BC515 Digital to Analog Converter

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

The not all new but new enough BC515 Digital to Analog Converter

Post by Gilbert Y » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:21 pm

For the past three years I have been thinking about designing an all new DAC. After looking at what material are available to design new DACs and what are currently available from other companies, I have decided designing an all new DAC from ground up is a total waste of time. At least from a music point of view. If it's music we care about that is.

Let me explain.......... The original BC509 DAC was started in 2009 and BC507 was around 2011. Since then many have bought and sold their BC509s and BC507s and upgrade to other brands more expensive USD5,000 or CAD6,000 and up, and so-called new technology DACs. Meaning, higher bit rate and sampling rate. Some of them has their own thing to play with the signal in digital domain and try to make the thing sound better. They all have their three of four letters BS names.

Not too long after they got their new expensive DACs, many of them came back to us and buying a BC505. Why? If you can find one of them to ask the question, all of them end up saying about the same thing. They will tell you those newer technology DACs sound good, very very dart good, but they don't sound right like their old BC509 and BC507. What do they mean they don't sound right? After many moons of digging into the matter and research. Listening to customers feedback. Blind tests with customers with DACs that triple the cost of the BC515, my conclusion is those other companies have to come up with something new to attract new buyers. Spent tons in marketing and come up with BS technology which does nothing more than manipulate the signal for no good reason. Up sampling? I have never understand what is the point of that? They change their sound like a graphic EQ did in the 80's but after a while, you get tried of it. If you want to change the sound, it's better to buy a graphic EQ than a new DACs with those BS technology.

Therefore, rather than designing a new DAC, it is better to improve what has been proven. The result:-

http://www.tlp-audio.com/page169.html

Will post some pictures as soon as we have them.

wstagner
Dealer

Re: The not all new but new enough BC515 Digital to Analog Converter

Post by wstagner » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Makes a lotta cents to me...EVOlution, not REVOlution.

No need 2 REinvent the wheel here. :D

ralphio

Re: The not all new but new enough BC515 Digital to Analog Converter

Post by ralphio » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:54 pm

I know I'll be hanging on to my daily user, the BC501ob LOC KQ, for a good long time. This thing simply sounds more natural and organic than my other two DACs: Meitner ma1 and the DAC in the highly regarded Accuphase DP-720 SACD player.

Keep up the good work Gilbert, I'll be after another DAC soon.