More than half an empty box

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

More than half an empty box

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:59 am

Recently, I have the "pressure" to work on a one year old CD player. 2/3 of the box is empty. So why do they put it in a big box?

AND see if you can find its power supplies.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17843311@ ... ateposted/

Don Leman
Dealer

Post by Don Leman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:39 am

Upper left just to the right of the single black capacitor.
Don

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Pretty small power supply, isn't it?

Worst, it's a switching power supply, a.k.a. noise maker. Quality wise, as good as a wall wart, except it doesn't plug directly onto a wall. It's built right inside the unit. No way to upgrade to anything better.

Why do manufacture do that? Cheaper to make, what else?

And why do they put it inside such a big box. The ratio of the chassis is pleasing to the eye. Make people think it is well built. And of course, they have to give you a big enough box to justify what they are changing.

Later when I get more time, I will tell you why am I saying all these stuff. Notices, the picture doesn't should you what brand nor model of CD player. It is because I don't want to say this to a specific brand nor model. It is happening around the whole world regardless of industry.

Don Leman
Dealer

Post by Don Leman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:20 am

Ya, they don't build them like they used to. My old Denon DSD 3520 from the 80's is still performing well and built like a tank. I do run the digital out into a more up to date DAC but its still not bad through the analog outputs.
Don

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Don Leman wrote:Ya, they don't build them like they used to. My old Denon DSD 3520 from the 80's is still performing well and built like a tank. I do run the digital out into a more up to date DAC but its still not bad through the analog outputs.
Denon stuff were a hit and miss to me. The DCD 3520 was one of the hit.

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:26 am

You did a great job hot rodding my Denon S1 a few years back. There was no empty space inside. 8)