Long time to design, 3 days to decide ..........

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Long time to design, 3 days to decide ..........

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:27 am

As like many designers, I have many things in the back of my mind. Never able to stop despite telling people I am semi-retire, or trying to retire. Semi-retirement sucks, I tell you. It doesn't work so far. I am working longer hours than before I told people, last November, I am semi-retire.

Enough of the whining for the day. Last week, we have decided to clean up our product line up. You will see there are less things on the current product line including the FtTH2, was now history. Then Bob Neill of Amherst Audio said I should have a replacement? Replacement, replacement of what? FtTH2 he said. Oh........

Then we start talking. FtTH2 has not been a good seller for a while and all of his integrated amp customers went for the 022i. Then he said it would be nice to have a little brother of the 022i but was it possible. The 022i was based on the BC1022 power amp and BC107 preamp. Little brother, easy. That was done long time ago when I was building the BC1022. It was called the BC1002. It has never got off the prototype bench. Why, because people wants big power, big power and big power. Class D, mon! What's the matter, big power with Class D plus lot of bass. Don't I see anything about marketing? Nope, I didn't but I had been told.

That was then.

Now I am semi-retired or trying to retire. Screw the marketing even more. Screw them all with a big wooden post. I am going back to build something I personal enjoy, will use and happy. Yes, I said HAPPY. I don't use that word often. Here is the list of preamps/amp or integrated amp in my whole life, so far, which I was, am, likely will happy to use in my system.

BC1, there is only one in the world.
BC2
BC3 Galatea
NSL
NSC

Please understand it doesn't mean the other BC products are not good. The other are better, sometime much better for some people. I am only expressing my personal opinion and preference. Don't take it as facts.

So why am I writing this long post after many months of seeing the forum basically dead. It's because I am happy and excited someone and me think alike and decide we need a little brother of 022i. Here you are the 002i integrated amp.

The 002i is still only exist in my mind. We (Bob and I) decide on Sunday (July 16, 2017) we are going to put it to the market. As of today, all parts are ordered and I am going to build the very first integrated amp which I am going to enjoy building, listening to and play music with. As of a lot of us, we listen with our eyes. So do I. I listen with my eyes a lot. However, I see things different than most others, not just in audio designs. For example, I don't see straight line anymore. If you know what I mean, you are a wise human being.
:wink: :roll: 8)

Here is the 002i specs.

65 to 75 watts per channel into 8 ohms.
Shallco standard
3 SE line level input
1 preamp output
1 pair of binding post per channel
Uses the same input stage as the 022i.
Uses the same design output stage as the 022i but smaller due to lower wattage.
DC power jack for external power supplies. It can upgrade the power supply equal of the 022i.

Single chassis: 17" w x 4.25" high x 14.5" deep. It is the same amp chassis as the 022i. Basically it's like a 022i without the outboard power supply.

That's it for now. When I have pictures of the 002i, I will start posting.

If you are asking for retail price, it's between USD5,000 to USD5,500 as Bob has posted on his web site. I will try closer to USD5,000.

Bob Neill
Dealer

002i

Post by Bob Neill » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 am

Only thing missing from your list of favorites, I think, is the BC26, which you spoke to me about a day or so ago and which I've heard you rave about before. When I heard it many years ago, it really pleased me. If I'm wrong, then I'd better revise what I wrote on my website!

I remember that some reviewer had one and loved it too. It compared just about every amp he heard to his B26, usually unfavorably...

Can't wait for this one.

Only BC amp I never got to hear was the super BC2, called a BC2000, I think.

I like what you're doing with your retirement!

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:47 am

Bob: It was the BC6. I was saying the BC6 suffered the same fate as the BC1002. Retail at USD3,600 compare to BC2 USD6,300. The BC2 has 75 watts and BC6 only has 25watts. People make judgement based on wattages vs dollars. The BC6 and the BC1002, and usually smaller amps, loses. To me, smaller amps has it own charm. It is not fair to compare them to high power amp. They are not the same thing at all.

This 002i is going to be a one hell of the smaller power integrated amp. Unlike the CS, NSCS, even the original FtTH, as good as they were, they are all engineered for a marketing reason. This 002i has very little marketing tag along with it.

Bob Neill
Dealer

BC 6....

Post by Bob Neill » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 am

BC 6, right. Oh well, at least I remember the names of old girlfriends correctly. A lovely, large, heavy, hot running (Class A) hybrid. Good stuff, though I expect it wouldn't stand up to my O22i any more than I expect my BC 2.1 would stand up to my NSL. Aural memory is tricky and undependable.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:28 pm

I only have four legged girlfriends name to remember. That leaves me a lot more space to remember those model numbers correctly.

Beside BC6 was the little brother of the BC2 with 1/3 of the power. It also shape odd. 26" wide, 8" high and 15" deep. It shape like an UFO or FUO depends on what way you look at it.

Bob: You have made me a happy man on Sunday night. The 10 oz. rarer than rare prime rib dinner help too.

Do I sound more excited than the NSL. Yes, I am. NSL was a long and whiney process. It took almost 6 months to build from the beginning to the final end. This little guy will take 2 to 3 days when all the parts are in. I can keep myself in a high mood for 72 hours without drinking any of those sugar saturated energy drink.

masluck
Advanced Member

I will plug the BC26, then...

Post by masluck » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm

I had the very first production BC26 made as my amp (at least what I have been told) - very special indeed as well. I did move to a 206 configuration in it, but heck it lived as a BC26 for 13 years and never disappointed. I subsequently moved on to my custom BC2K4sh, but I know its new owner loves that amp!!!

Mark

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 pm

masluck

I can confirm you had the very first BC26. The very very first one. It was year 2000, I believe. When I was younger and perhaps slightly smarter then.

Sugarbrie
Dealer

Post by Sugarbrie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Along with the one and only BC1, is the one and only Sugarbrie Preamp (now GZpz).
I also still have that BC21 that we did not upgrade in favor of the new design.

The whole story and pics. Gilbert even engraved the faceplate. https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ ... ube-preamp

At the bottom: http://www.tlp-audio.com/page121.html

The BC21 is in a basement setup with a rare BC102 amp. How many BC102 are there?