Reclocking your DAC, now with updated answer!

AudioJunkie

Reclocking your DAC, now with updated answer!

Post by AudioJunkie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:31 am

Hi Gilbert,

I was wondering if my Preamp/DAC you built is able to use a re-clocking device such as the Wyred 4 Sound Remedy. Here are some basic specs and please notice asterisk info.

Thanks
Tom or TVA preamp

Remedy Features
Utilizes an incredible Femto-grade clock
Superior jitter reduction​ (click for measurements)
Toslink and Coaxial digital inputs
Toslink, Coaxial, BNC digital outputs
96kHz output sampling frequency*
Digital inputs support up to 24/192kHz!
9VDC power supply included
5 year warranty

*Some older DACs cannot accept this high of sample rate. Double check your DAC to be sure.

UPDATE: I ended up purchasing the Wyred 4 Sound Remedy and made the proper connections to my BC Preamp/DAC. It appears to work perfectly and now I am getting a cleaner sound out of my DAC...the analogy is like a cleaner window then before.
Cheers to all!
Last edited by AudioJunkie on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breadman

Post by breadman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:34 pm

hi tom, im not gilbert but i have a bc509 and just installed a ifi spdif purifier between my squeezebox touch and my dac and had very good results. I've only had it a week but i would say it acted like adding one of gilbert's power cleaners.
hope that helps a bit,
paul

AudioJunkie

reclocking

Post by AudioJunkie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:05 am

breadman wrote:hi tom, im not gilbert but i have a bc509 and just installed a ifi spdif purifier between my squeezebox touch and my dac and had very good results. I've only had it a week but i would say it acted like adding one of gilbert's power cleaners.
hope that helps a bit,
paul
Thanks Paul, however, my concern has to to do with up sampling in the Remedy and whether that might be an issue with the DAC he made for me 5 years ago?
Tom

masluck
Advanced Member

Post by masluck » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi Tom,

This is from the BC product site, as I am unsure what DAC you have. I have a BC501ob-LOC and I believe the following would hold true even for it...

"The BC509 and BC507 digital to analog converters share the same decoding engine. The difference is in what size fuel tank and what kind of fuel they use.
The Digital to Analog Section:
The digital to analog part of the machine will support anywhere from 16 bits to 24 bits - 30KHz to 216Khz and anything in between, including 16/44, 16/44.1, 16/48, 24/96, 24/196 and more."

I hope that helps - note the "30KHz to 216KHz" spec relating to clock (see above)..as that would pertain to the input clocking frequency into the DAC...

Thanks!

Mark

AudioJunkie

Post by AudioJunkie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks Mark for your reply, this information may be what I was seeking. However, the DAC Gilbert built was part of a preamp, so it may be different still. He did get back with me in another email and indicated if I photograph the inside he will be able to know for sure what I have. Thanks to all!
masluck wrote:Hi Tom,

This is from the BC product site, as I am unsure what DAC you have. I have a BC501ob-LOC and I believe the following would hold true even for it...

"The BC509 and BC507 digital to analog converters share the same decoding engine. The difference is in what size fuel tank and what kind of fuel they use.
The Digital to Analog Section:
The digital to analog part of the machine will support anywhere from 16 bits to 24 bits - 30KHz to 216Khz and anything in between, including 16/44, 16/44.1, 16/48, 24/96, 24/196 and more."

I hope that helps - note the "30KHz to 216KHz" spec relating to clock (see above)..as that would pertain to the input clocking frequency into the DAC...

Thanks!

Mark

masluck
Advanced Member

Major Errata!!

Post by masluck » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:39 am

Boy, I need to be bull whipped (especially since I work in IT). I was wrong stating that the 30KHz to 216KHz was "the clocking rate' of the interface. That is widely incorrect. It is actually 2.8MHz for 44.1KHz and varies with sampling frequency (S/PDIF specification). Crack the books Mark!!! :oops: :oops: