Where to start first?

chops

Where to start first?

Post by chops » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Hello all. I'm new here though have been following BC for a while. I made my first BC purchase just a few days ago from Walt at TLP, a single Yalo Bulala. I received it in the mail today and installed it in the adjoining room since it's on the same circuit as the family room where the system is. Plus it gets the YB a little closer to the breaker box. I don't know if that helps at all or not, but it seemed like a good reason to me.

Anyway, ever since I can remember, I have always had my power conditioner and have always had my amp(s) plugged into them. Yesterday, I finally decided to plug my amp directly into the wall outlet, and what a huge improvement it made, even at low volumes! Tighter, more extended bass, more attack, more dynamics, a wider and deeper sound stage, more inner detail... All of that just from disconnecting the amp from the power conditioner and plugging it directly into the wall. I couldn't believe it!

So now that I'm a believer of having full juice getting the amp, and I have surge protection via the YB, I now need to start looking into some filtering, not just for the amp, but for the rest of the system, all of which is still plugged into an APC H15.

I was originally thinking of piecing everything together over a short period of time, getting a 6 outlet PLC Thingee first. After a while, I would get the 6X Sillycone and plug that into one of the rear outlets of the Thingee. Then a little while later, get the X0e module and plug that into the other rear outlet of the Thingee. That would ultimately run me around $700.

OR...

I was also thinking I could just get the 6 outlet PLC Thingee FX2 X0e for $500 and be done with it. Maybe wait a little while and get the 6X to add to it.

Luckily, I'm not getting any odd or extra noises out of my speakers by running the amp directly into the wall unfiltered. In fact, it's every bit as quiet plugged into the wall as it was plugged into the H15.

OR...

Should I just get a 6X Sillycone and plug it into the outlet along with the amp for starters?

Would I benefit at all by getting the DC Offset Blocker? I don't have any audible hum coming from anything, the speakers nor from the amp's transformer.

Eventually, the APC H15 will be completely out of the system.

Any ideas, thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
-Charles

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:01 am

Hi Charles,

Nice of you to join the BC Forum. Welcome.

I purchased a modified PLC Thingee FX2 with X0e design filter for my father. He loves it and can really hear the difference it brings.

While you present all very good options, it boils down to what you feel comfortable spending at this time. The more filtering you add, the greater the benefits. I know this very well-- I've added quite a bit, and I still haven't found a limit.

I can say that adding a primary power conditioner like the PLC Thingee FX2 (with or without X0e or X1e filter) or the big brother BC 6000 series filters, will make a dramatic difference. Yes, the cost of these filters are greater than a few sillycone filters, but the benefits of having a whole system filtered (6 outlets) is much greater than individual filters. Yes, if you plug a sillycone filter into the same outlet as your amp, your system will all benefit, but not like all of your system's AC cords getting simultaneously filtered. It should be this way since you are paying more, but if I am not being clear enough, the benefits for your overall system improve exponentially-- $500 for a PLC Thingee FX2 with X0e is a lot, but you are getting a much greater value than a single Sillycone 6X. But again, it depends if you can and want to spend the $500 to begin with.

Your time frame was for adding individual pieces was, "Over a short period of time." I don't know if you are able to pick up the pieces from Walt or you'll be having the items shipped-- shipping costs. My two cents: if you can swing the $500, go for the PLC Thingee FX2 with X0e: you'll be shocked at the performance-- amps and the six most crucial components go into it. If your system includes a TV, you'll see the difference in picture quality.

If you want to modify the above, talk to Walt. Gilbert specializes in modifications-- If you wanted to spend an extra $200 (total $700), you could have the extra filtering put into the unit. Having the filtering in the unit, if this is physically possible, 1) saves you money from not having to have a cover and ac cord, but even more importantly, 2) improves the filtering because it is much closer to the components. The closer the filtering is to the components, the more benefit it will have. I know the price is now up to $700, but just wanted to point out that there is a benefit to having filters in one unit versus attachments.

From what I have read of the APC H15, I believe it is an active filter, versus the PLC Thingee's noncurrent limiting filtering. This is why your amps sound more dynamic plugged directly into the wall versus into the APC. I went through the same realization with my Panamax. You'll hear even greater dynamics, much blacker background and way more detail with a PLC Thingee FX2 with X0e. Add in a 6X into the unit, and I would say your filtering needs are well addressed. You'll hear it and see it (TV), that is for sure.

I'm sure you read all the reviews online. If you feel comfortable spending $500, APC H15 retails very close, I think you'll easily see and hear which is money better spend.

Walt's extremely easy and pleasing to work with, as you know. He'll properly guide you with what you feel most comfortable doing. I built my system up over fifteen years-- I know about adding part by part. At the same time, I also know the benefits of having things done at once.

Good luck with your decision.

IM

Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

IM

BlueKnight
Advanced Member

Post by BlueKnight » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:42 am

What Ice Man said...

chops

Post by chops » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:20 pm

Hello guys,

Sorry for the late response. It's been a busy little weekend, doing more upgrades to my speakers (crossover components and such).

Anyway, before I purchase anything, I need to sell a few pieces of gear first. After that, it's buying time for a couple filters.

The reason I want to purchase the 6 outlet versions is not to connect the entire system into it, but to have the ability to add a couple other filters onto it at a later date.

You make a lot of good points. Just curious, what is that X1e filter you mentioned? I don't recall seeing that anywhere.

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:24 am

Hi Chops,

The X1e filter is the big brother to the X0e filter.

If you only wanted the six outlets to add sillycone filters, then I strongly encourage you to have the extra filters built in-- not just cost savings, but greater performance benefits. Three 6X sillycones or 18X worth of filtering in my opinion would be a big difference, let alone six 6X's or 36X built in. Talk to Walt about the specific differences. However, if resources dictate that it needs can't all be done at once, I understand that very well. Another thought is to build filtering built not in a pipe, but in a chassis like the BC6000 series or BC 30X1/60X1 series. Put in what you want now, and in the future, you have the room to upgrade. Having the filtering built into either a pipe or chassis gives the very best performance.

Some information on the BC X1e filter:

http://www.tlp-audio.com/page156.html

http://www.tlp-audio.com/page149.html

http://tlp-audio.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... hlight=x1e

chops

Post by chops » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Hello IM,

I kind of worded that last part wrong. Then again, I kept dozing off while writing that. It took me nearly 20 minutes to write that post. LOL :oops:

Anyway, what I meant to say is that I want to have a 6 outlet version, that way I can plug in three or four of my components into the front side of it, and plug in something like the 6X Sillycone filter and DC Offset filter on the back two outlets.

Not that I have any DC offset issues, but don't know if it would beneficial to have another FX2 X0e add-on onto the PLC FX2 X0e Thingee that already has that in it, or add another 6X later down the road, or just leave it blank.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for all the great links. I'll look through them tonight when I get home from work.

illuminator

Post by illuminator » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:07 pm

Chops,

I've been building my pieces. Each one has made an easily discernible improvement.

Here's my progression:

1. Puck
2. PLC FX2 X0e Thingee
3. Sillycone 18X Filter
4. Puck
5. FX2 X0e Filter

It looks a bit weird, but my setup sounds better than it ever has:

- A Puck into the wall outlet
- A Puck into the Puck
- A PLC FX2 X0e Thingee into the second Puck
- A Sillycone 18X Filter into the PLC FX2 X0e Thingee
- An FX2 X0e Filter into the PLC FX2 X0e Thingee

I also have another Puck and FX2 X0e Filter on my TV, Cable, DVD and ZVox Sound Bar.

Chuck

itproman

Post by itproman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:31 pm

This where I'm at right now.

Just starting out on a budget.

I figure I'll buy a puck for now and start there.

Questions:

1)Does the FX2 go directly into the wall?Not sure by the photos?

2)To the Puck collector poster: "A puck into a puck....into the wall outlet..."

Aren't those things heavy?Ie: What's propping them up? lol

3) What about surge suppression,power line conditioning.etc?

Ok,I'm a complete rookie.I know some electronics,but have a lot to learn,not to mention repenting of the sin of using those cheap home theater power bars!

Now: I have one of those sideways outlets,so if I buy a puck and plug it in on the right side,I'm thinking "won't it cover up the left receptacle?

Here's what I need to hook up:

1)TV
2)Cable HDPVR
3)5.1 AV rcvr
4)Bluray Player
5)CD Player
6)Ethernet Switch
7)Android Box
8)Sub -coming

Could I just plug the 2 power bars into the puck for now(I know,but...)?

Somebody give this rookie a path to follow!

:?:

illuminator

Post by illuminator » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:17 am

Yes, the Puck will cover the other outlet, but there's two outlets on the Puck.

The FX2 doesn't plug directly into the wall, it needs a power cord.

Yes, I have the Puck into a Puck propped up, although the Pucks aren't really that heavy. The power cord I'm using is heavier that the Pucks.

The FX2 and the Puck are power conditioners, but not surge suppressors.

The Puck will be noticeable, but if you can afford $500.00, the FX2 X0e will be the better way to go plus it has six outlets.

You can plug the power bars into the Puck if you want.