New 1022 based integrated -- O22i -- due in next week.

bobneill
Advanced Member

New 1022 based integrated -- O22i -- due in next week.

Post by bobneill » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:06 am

Stay tuned.

Don Leman
Dealer

Post by Don Leman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:23 pm

The recent pictures posted on flickr look great Bob. Will be interested in where you see it fitting sound wise in the Blue Circle stable.
Don

bobneill
Advanced Member

O22i

Post by bobneill » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:45 am

It's here. I'm trying unsuccessfully not to listen for a few days as it settles in. But first impressions confirm what we heard here from the 1022 on my Crimson SS preamp last summer. Wonderfully clear and magic (both) midrange, VERY solid bass. With Blue Circle and JMR (listening with Offrande Supreme V2's) Im always looking for the perfect marriage of clarity and body. So far, so good.

As expected, I already prefer it to my long-loved FtTH2, which, I'll have to remind anxious tubeophiles here, is, of course, a personal judgment. There are enough tube lovers out there so that the FtTH2 needn't feel threatened, nor should it. It does what it does incomparably. But for those who crave more clarity with no loss of 'natural warmth,' this may be your amp. The O22i makes the FtTH2 sound just a little foggy. I know, I know, it's the fog some audiophiles love, so peace to you.

The O22i is recognizably a member of the 1022- NSP- NSL family, which is what I'd hope for.

More later next week.

masluck
Advanced Member

Post by masluck » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:02 am

".....anxious tubeophiles.." You're a funny guy Bob... :lol:

bobneill
Advanced Member

O22i, one week in.

Post by bobneill » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:51 pm

It has taken the O22i approximately a week to develop from a rich, clean, but somewhat dark (English stout?) sounding amp, with huge bass, into an utterly natural one with a gorgeous midrange, great savory bass, and a natural (rather than brilliant, sparkling) high end. I liked it from start; today I love it. Because today it opened up. I remember my BC501obLOC going through the same process at RMAF a few years ago: it took a week to

Frank

Post by Frank » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:24 pm

Don Leman wrote:The recent pictures posted on flickr look great Bob.
Could you post a link to these pics?

Thanks.

bobneill
Advanced Member

Images of o22i

Post by bobneill » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:06 pm

bobneill
Advanced Member

Images of O22i

Post by bobneill » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:19 pm

The fancy curly maple/walnut faceplate is optional, of course! The amp is surprisingly (to me) compact: 17" x 5 3/8." It's the height that surprises.

ERM
Advanced Member

Re: Images of O22i

Post by ERM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:48 pm

bobneill wrote:The fancy curly maple/walnut faceplate is optional, of course! The amp is surprisingly (to me) compact: 17" x 5 3/8." It's the height that surprises.

Hi Bob please keep the listening notes coming. Very informative, thank you.

What is the depth of the amp and I don't see a retail price as yet.

bobneill
Advanced Member

For ERM...

Post by bobneill » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:59 pm

!5 inches deep, $7500.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:23 am

We are working on the marketing BS for web site but so far I think Bob is doing a great job for us.

The only point I want to make is USD7500.00 retail is for stainless steel faceplate (standard). Optional wood faceplate cost more. Also with the Canadian dollars dropping like a rock, we are going to adjust the Canadian retail in February. As a result the Canadian number is going to be bigger than the US number.

bobneill
Advanced Member

"Marketing B.S."

Post by bobneill » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 pm

But as most of you know, some B.S. is true.

bobneill
Advanced Member

Question from a Forum Member

Post by bobneill » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:40 am

One of our number read my description of the O22i (and some of my observations to him on the side). He is involved in comparing the FtTH2 and O22i. His question pointed up something missing in my report, so I thought I'd share both the question and an answer.

"The FtTH2 is very forgiving of badly mastered recordings--some jazz remasters that are unbearably bright on other systems are very listenable on this one. To what extent does the O22i share this quality? My sense is that in terms of bass, clarity and timing the new amp would be closer to my ideal, but that all goes out the window if my favorite albums make my ears bleed. Or is the new amp perhaps cleaner and smoother up high?"

The upper mid and treble range of the O22i has a slight sweetness to it that I didn't go into in my description, though I did way it was becoming beautiful, which is what I was getting at. The midrange flows so smoothly up into the higher range that you don't notice it at first. It's a purely natural sweetness, not an additive. The result is that peculiar ideal most of seek: natural warmth without loss of clarity. The overall effect we feel in listening to music through the O22i is more the warmth (partly a sense of instrumental body) than the clarity I pointed out; but it is never a warmth that holds things back. Listening to some older jazz releases yesterday (Coleman Hawkins, Gerry Mulligan, Teddy Wilson), it all sounded almost 'old fashioned' but in a wonderful way because I heard everything. Where the FtTH2 would forgive, the O22i seems rather to bless. Well it is Sunday and I'm listening to Buxtehude today.

I will probably keep babbling about this amp until I stop noticing it. At the moment it is keeping every other amp in the house at bay.

bobneill
Advanced Member

Note

Post by bobneill » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:59 pm

My website is is "under reconstruction" -- meaning that image of the O22i is not the O22i. Stay tuned.

bobneill
Advanced Member

Website

Post by bobneill » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:38 am

Fixed.