DSD input for BC DACs

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

DSD input for BC DACs

Post by Gilbert Y » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:42 am

We can now offer DSD input for BC509, BC507 and BC505 DACs. We can retrofit into any of these DACs. Retail price is from $850 to $1250 depends on models.

koolblue2

Re: DSD input for BC DACs

Post by koolblue2 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:20 pm

Gilbert Y wrote:We can now offer DSD input for BC509, BC507 and BC505 DACs. We can retrofit into any of these DACs. Retail price is from $850 to $1250 depends on models.
i knew i should have bought one of those 507 dacs when they were available on canuck a few months ago

breadman

dsd

Post by breadman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:56 pm

i thought i had a handle on computer audio but i am a bit confused with this. i have a custom bc509 with only spdif inputs which i feed from my sb touch, streaming from my NAS. i was planning on installing a usb input at some point. i have the enhanced digital output applet installed that allows for usb output from my sb touch. i assume DSD uses a usb input and analog output. would this be a separate usb input or is it some magic that happens internally. if i were to have a 192 usb input installed on my custom bc509 would that accommodate DSD as well or is this a separate thing all together and will my sb touch stream DSD.
Paul

ERM
Advanced Member

Re: dsd

Post by ERM » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:34 pm

breadman wrote:i thought i had a handle on computer audio but i am a bit confused with this. i have a custom bc509 with only spdif inputs which i feed from my sb touch, streaming from my NAS. i was planning on installing a usb input at some point. i have the enhanced digital output applet installed that allows for usb output from my sb touch. i assume DSD uses a usb input and analog output. would this be a separate usb input or is it some magic that happens internally. if i were to have a 192 usb input installed on my custom bc509 would that accommodate DSD as well or is this a separate thing all together and will my sb touch stream DSD.
Paul
Hi Paul, I'm no techie, but hopefully this helps. Current DACs support PCM which is the encoding in CDs. DSD is an alternative to PCM as a way of recording digital data. DSD is widely used for master studio recording and was the backbone of SACD introduced by Sony. I would suspect an additional processor will be added to our existing DACs. The existing inputs/outputs should not have to change.
DSD is primarily available through hi-rez web sites as downloads. There is supposed to be a way to rip the DSD files from your SACDs to your computer.
My brief introduction to DSD last fall is that keeping the original signal right through sounds best. Another words keep PCM as PCM through the dac and DSD as DSD. Converting one to the other, does impact the sound negatively. So, you don't need to worry or do anything to your 509, unless you want to discover DSD, but you might to upgrade the 509 to 507 first. Ed

ERM
Advanced Member

Re: DSD input for BC DACs

Post by ERM » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:36 pm

Gilbert Y wrote:We can now offer DSD input for BC509, BC507 and BC505 DACs. We can retrofit into any of these DACs. Retail price is from $850 to $1250 depends on models.
Hey Gilbert, can you please clarify if your implementation will support DSD over PCM? Also what is supported DSD64, 128, 256?
Thanks, Ed

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:42 pm

I will try to make is as simple as possible.

Our DSD input is via USB input. It support up to DSD64. The same USB input is also capable to handle up to 24/192 PCM.

In another word, one USB input will handle up to DSD64 and PCM 24/192.

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Re: dsd

Post by Gilbert Y » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:44 pm

breadman wrote:i thought i had a handle on computer audio but i am a bit confused with this. i have a custom bc509 with only spdif inputs which i feed from my sb touch, streaming from my NAS. i was planning on installing a usb input at some point. i have the enhanced digital output applet installed that allows for usb output from my sb touch. i assume DSD uses a usb input and analog output. would this be a separate usb input or is it some magic that happens internally. if i were to have a 192 usb input installed on my custom bc509 would that accommodate DSD as well or is this a separate thing all together and will my sb touch stream DSD.
Paul
Paul

If you want your 509 to handle DSD and 24/192. All we need to do is to replace the USB input module and it will handle both.

breadman

Post by breadman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:31 pm

well thank you, that answers my question sure but opens up a huge dilemma. where to go next... my journey with blue circle and gilbert has been amazing. the next step is either to upgrade my bc21.1 and add a phono stage or upgrade the bc509 to handle usb and dsd. there is no right answer i suppose, i will do both eventually.
on a separate note what is the this ps audio direct stream and how does it differ from dsd. it seems to handle both pcm and dsd. is that something that may be coming in the future?
paul

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:07 am

When it comes to all of these digital gears, all the different formats, I don't believe there is one person that know everything. And what you read on the net is mostly marketing and not much real info. By the time you are able to understand enough truth to make a decision, they come up with something new and confuse the heck out of everyone again.

Don't believe what you read and what you hear from nobody. But do as much reading and hearing from anybody as possible and try to make a decision. Am I making you confuse, I think I am too. :D :) :lol:

breadman

Post by breadman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:55 am

thank you, no it doesn't confuse me because i trust what you say. my ears confirm everything you have promised so far. the one thing i struggle with in all the high res. digital thing is no physical media to hold and explore while listening. after sleeping on it, it still makes more sense to upgrade the preamp and add a phono stage first. i have far more vinyl and cds that would benefit than a few DSD downloads.
paul

Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Jo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:10 am

Good morning, guys,

Gilbert,

In my case (I use a USB Tunnel, which I connect - XLR cable - to my SBH/509-7 combo), would be possible to have this new product in a pipe, so I replace Tunnel with the advantage of DSD and PCM 24/192, instead of just PCM 24/96?

Thanks,

Jo

Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Jo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:26 am

Gilbert,

Would it be always USB powered or is it possible that it comes with its own power supply so to be connected to the electrical wall outlet? Worth it?

Thanks,

Jo

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:06 am

Jo

We can do the USB module in a pipe but it will take the advantage away of being inside the chassis. We have done a lot more than just put the module inside the chassis in term of power, etc. Therefore, it is best to install this the DSD module inside the DAC chassis. I know this is not easy for you knowing where you live but I still have state what is best.

Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Jo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:59 am

Understood, Gilbert. It

Freddy
Advanced Member

Post by Freddy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:26 pm

No possibility to add DSD to BC501? I've ripped a fair amount of SACD's.