Native DSD

ERM
Advanced Member

Native DSD

Post by ERM » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:35 pm

At the exaSound seminar at Taves, I got to listen to native DSD and PCM etc. It was quite a revelation. Got to hear SACD properly for the first time. The DSD songs were very emotionally involving and totally non-digital.

Are any of the members here actively listening to native DSD and is this something we would like Gilbert to pursue as an upgrade to existing DACs?

Freddy
Advanced Member

Post by Freddy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:21 am

There's a neat little DSD D/A converter available that will work in conjunction with your existing BC or whatever PCM DAC.
It's called Loki by Schiit Audio ... sells for $149.
Run with the Loki for all DSD files and hit the bypass switch to route thru your regular DAC.

I really love this piece of Schiit.

Fred

ERM
Advanced Member

Post by ERM » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Freddy wrote:There's a neat little DSD D/A converter available that will work in conjunction with your existing BC or whatever PCM DAC.
It's called Loki by Schiit Audio ... sells for $149.
Run with the Loki for all DSD files and hit the bypass switch to route thru your regular DAC.

I really love this piece of Schiit.

Fred
Hi Freddy, thanks for the info. Is suppose a stand alone DSD add on makes sense. So, do you actually own one?

Since a lot of music masters have made using DSD, it will only be a matter of time, before this music is available especially as a down load. Apparently even Sony has announced its intention. I have been burned too many times in the past by different music mediums and the latest thing, but DSD does make sense.

The most instructive part of the exaSound seminar was that playing back in whatever the native form was does make a sonic difference. For example a PCM master did not sound as good once converted to DSD as it did in native PCM and of course the same holds true for DSD masters. Interesting times ahead.

Freddy
Advanced Member

Post by Freddy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Yes ERM, I own one and must say without doubt it's it's the perfect thing to experiment with for DSD downloads (or rips for that matter). At $149 it's a no-brainer, if DSD goes the way of the dodo bird you ain't out much. According to the Schiit guys it's not necessarily good practice to mix DSD and PCM D to A converting in the same DAC ... ?

A guy on another forum did a comparison running native DSD thru Loki vs converting hirez PCM to DSD with JRiver then thru Loki ... the native DSD won every time (of course according to him).

He then tried DSD file converted to PCM vs native hirez PCM thru his regular DAC and ... PCM wins. So go figure. Interesting times ahead for sure.

Fred

Jo
Advanced Member

Post by Jo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Hey, Gilbert, any news on this? A DSD DAC on the plan?

Thanks,

Jo

Gilbert Y
Advanced Member

Post by Gilbert Y » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Jo wrote:Hey, Gilbert, any news on this? A DSD DAC on the plan?

Thanks,

Jo