PLC FX2 and BC68 filtered power cord questions

jrodude

PLC FX2 and BC68 filtered power cord questions

Post by jrodude » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I have a few questions about some of the BC power products.

I recently purchased a PLC FX2 and currently have my cd player/dac and pre-amp connected to it. I was wondering if I can plug the amp into the FX2 with the CD player and pre-amp or is it better to isolate the amp by either: (a) using a separate FX2 for the amp which I can run on a separate duplex receptacle, or (b) plugging the amp directly into the wall, and plug a 6X sillycone filter in parallel with the amp on the second empty outlet?

Also, I have Vandersteen 5a carbon speakers which each have a built in powered subwoofer. Should I buy a BC68mkii filtered power cord for each of the speakers or should I get a separate 6X filter for each one? Each speaker has its own duplex receptacle.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance. :)

k-Dub

Post by k-Dub » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:05 am

welcome! to the land of music first here in Blue Circle forum! (though we still like our audiophile showorks too)

So you liked the plcfx2:)? Has you thinking, about how much better the klean water from wall, makes for better cocktails?

I think the BC68 on the Vandies is a no brainer! (they just take a while to break in - good month or so - just don't judge as you take the ride)

I would not hesistate to put all your stuff into your BC conditioner for now, as it is non-current limited. Leave your set up as is, plug the amp in, and see if your dynamics (micro and macro) have suffered. If yes, then maybe go back to wall for the amp... If yes, but you hear more info beacuse of cleaner juice from wall with the BC conditioner, then I would think about separating Digital from everything else as much as possible... So maybe, rather than dedicated BC68 for amp, go for another PLC fx2 - one for digital, and the other for preamp+ amp.

Now, I have 3 dedicated lines in house - all 10g solid core romex. One digital, one analog (tt motor, preamps), one for amps. So I cannot recommend enough, separating the digital from everything else as much as possible. The dedicated line for the amps, was alllllll about big dynamics/fireworks.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 pm

I use a couple of 18x sillycone filter with the amps plugged directly into dedicated lines. You certainly won't be disappointed with the 6x filters. The nice thing about these sillycone filters is that the more you add, the more refinement and ease you will bring to your system.

I have asked Gilbert to build a couple of 24x filters in a 10" pipe and am eager to see what further improvements they will bring.

I have never had success with conditioners on power amps, but then again, I have not tried any of Gilbert's conditioners either.

jrodude

Post by jrodude » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies. I am enjoying the FX2 very much, and definitely made a difference in cleaning up the AC line. That started my interest in expanding the conditioning for the rest of the system. For now I think I'm going to add some silly one filters to see what difference those will make. Thanks, James

Raven
Dealer

Post by Raven » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:41 pm

I liked K-Dub's observation about clean water. I spent a summer working at a coffee factory. the owners though me about making the best coffee and the one thing they said was a key factor was water without chlorine etc. Avoid tap water they said. Filter everything for the best taste. I sure could taste the difference when they tested the theory on me in blind tasting tests one day. Shame though, I don't drink coffee.

All my customers love the PLC Thingee's and I always tell them to 1) Try it for 1 week and then TAKE IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM and have a listen. You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone they say. 2) Try the same thing on your TV. Blue Circle power conditioning won't make the Maple Leafs win the cup but the picture looks much better.

And lastly, beware the noise monsters in your home (and those in your neighbours homes). Dimmer switches, fluorescent lighting, plasma tv's Magic Bullet and Sham Wow. Ok, just the guy from sham wow, not the actual sham wow.

nikki
Advanced Member

Post by nikki » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Raven wrote:Maple Leafs win the cup
Now that would truly be a miracle :P

beyond1000
Advanced Member

Post by beyond1000 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:49 pm

nikki wrote:
Raven wrote:Maple Leafs win the cup
Now that would truly be a miracle :P
Wrong!

The Canucks winning the cup would be a miracle. Actually the Leafs still have some chance in winning the cup some day. The Canucks have ZERO chance so miracles don't apply here.

Sorry for the interruption. Carry on, carry on.

beyond1000
Advanced Member

Post by beyond1000 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:24 am

Now for my question. I am using a Thingee and a 12x for my front end components of my home theatre. My amp and sub are plugged straight into the wall thus my amp is not power filtered directly, only signal filtered through the front end.

My amp is an Outlaw 7500 multichannel with a Nordost Brahma power cord. Yes Blue Circle would be nicer but that would come in some future.

I am looking at the BC68 filtered power cord for my amp. Would that cord restrict dynamics in any way? The amp pulls out 240wpc x 5 all channels simultaneously driven and weighs in at 85 lbs. Not a lightweight. I am trying to smoothen out the sound on my five main speakers. The AVR pre/pro is handling the other two surround backs and is plugged into the Thingee with the 12x plugged into the Thingee.

Thanks for your answers.

Ice Man
Advanced Member

Post by Ice Man » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:33 am

Beyond1000,

I use the BC68 power cords on my amps as well as my preamp. For my DAC, I use a custom version of the BC68mk2: BC 62 with a 3X Sillycone filter attached (killer piece).

I feel the BC power cords are not only the best bang for the buck, but simply, outstanding. To answer your specific question about dynamics, they enhance the dynamics to a very high degree by making the background much blacker. You know how the Thingee and 12X perform in your system-- this is also carried out in the power cords.

As I have written in my earlier posts, I personally feel that filtering is essential to the amps-- the higher the filtering prior to the amps, the more dynamic and musical the sound will be. Voices are that much more intimate.

How is the Thingee plus 12X Filter working out for you? If you haven't already tried, might I suggest you try plugging in your amp and subs into your Thingee. If you don't have enough outlets for all, remove the TV and the subs. Try listening to music with your amp and CD/DVD player into the Thingee and 12X. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the amp and hopefully, the subs, all plugged in.

Let us know how it works out.